View Single Post
Old 05-19-2014, 04:33 PM
shiznit
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2009
Position: right for a long, long time

Originally Posted by forgot to bid View Post
Shiz, to me this is kind of like the CDO thing. If we're both on the 88 and we do LGA-PWM. Nah, IAH-KILE (look it up for old Coex nightmare).

You fly in tonight get there at 11, I take the flight out in the morning at 6. At 3am, how many FOs does DAL have at the hotel (LaQuinta Inn but not the good one, an old concrete wall one)? 2.

Do a CDO and how many FOs are there at 3am? 1.

Now we could have 3 FOs that bid all of these ILE CDOs, do 10 each. If they could only do 13.5 hour 3-days with 30 hour layovers and there were 2 crews per night, I'm guessing around 5-6 pilots could bid that (and only that) per month and cover it.

I don't know, I'll wait and see the language but I can kind of see where CDOs and augmented crews could open the gate for reduced need for pilots right at the moment they're realizing they don't have enough.

If I put a management hat on fewer pilots is a good thing. Turns are easier to staff and coordinate than overnights. Seems like they could be more productive with a given amount of pilots and that seems to be the trend.

But liek the 1.56 ratio the devil is in the details to me.

And fwiw... it'll pass. If it went to MEMRAT with a seal of approval it will pass.
Oh, I remember the IAH-ILE/BPT/EFD/HOU/LCH days!

WRT the CDO issue...I don't care as much how many pilots are laying over, as how much credit pilots are accumulating. With only two short legs and a 8-11 hour duty period, the nighttime rig will cause higher credit per "two legs" that can't be eaten up with block time elsewhere in the rotation.

Also, these will be very late show- very early release 4 day rotations with only three duty periods that will pay 22:30 (if they indeed are 7:30 each). That is actually still higher than 5:15/day ADG!

I beleive there will be a significant increase in manning needed due to ADG in general, with all reserves getting 5:15 each day instead of on the end of month "lookback" that we have presently.

Add that with the ADG applying to all the late show and 30 hour layovers that are too long for a CDO, the 18:00 4 days and 13:30 3 days will help a number of lineholders to build a full month of flying with one or two less days of work per month. Those "less days of work" will need to still be flown, so it will require more pilots in category to fly the same schedule.

I think the math on domestic augmentation has shown it likely won't necessarily decrease staffing, but I'm sure there will be reps who ask about that in detail at the meeting.

My money is definitely on the staffing formula going UP rather than DOWN if we ratify this LOA.

I wonder if the net result of the staffing will offset or more than offset the 100-150 pilot "savings" supposedly allowed from C2012?

I wonder what the value of ADG would mean to the Delta pilot payroll as a yearly percentage?

<--- Only sorta waiting patiently for details.

(oh, and I agree with ftb that this will pass with or without memrat)