Old 02-08-2006, 06:54 PM
jagboy69
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Wink

I beg your pardon, Most of our students at DCA DO finish within 10% of quoted numbers. I am an example of this. Zero time to CFII in about 10 months and 200 hours. I say MOST so please don't start throwing rocks at me for other reasons. I have known my share of students that either don't devote the time needed to their studies or properly prepare for upcoming lessons. The old adage applies to ANY program you start ANYWHERE, be it DCA/RAA/ATP/FSI or XYZ. You only get out of the experience what you put into it. Sure I could have spent less probably, but some people do better in a very regimented program like what I went thru. We had a saying in the military, shut up and color. I know what my job was a student, I kept my head down, bucked down and cracked the books. I tell my students I want at least 8hrs out of their days devoted to SOMETHING having to do with flying. (example: Ground school, flying, Gleim, Homework, FAR/AIM, Backseating other flights, Mock Oral exams, Memorizing emergency procedures, reading AC's, Poking around a plane in MX)
Hardwork ALWAYS pays off in time and dollars at the end of the day.
A good attitude is essential too.

Originally Posted by WEACLRS
Do not believe the part 141 programs that promise your certs and ratings in 190 or 220 hours. Most pilots can't complete the programs in those times to the proficiency level required. So plan on 250 hours TT to your commercial. However, at about 225 hrs TT start your ME training. At 240 hrs TT go back to the single to sharpen your commercial skills and then take the comm checkride right at 250 or 251 hrs. Then go back to the multi for an hour or two and add the rating. Don't spend all 250 hours in the single, because a lot of the time is just wasted boring holes and building time.