View Single Post
Old 05-22-2014, 11:41 AM
kfahmi
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: RJ right-seat warmer
Default How commuting works

Sorry for the noob question, but I'm looking to improve my limited understanding of how commuting works, given that it looks like I'll have to commute for a while after starting at OO.

As I understand it, here's how it works. Please correct me where I'm wrong (and I'm sure much of this is wrong.)

1. On Skywest aircraft, you can list for the jumpseat in advance, presumably using a website to do so. How long in advance can you list? Is it first-come, first-served, or does it go by seniority?

2. On aircraft operated by a partner airline (AA, DAL, UAL, Alaska)...how does that work? I assume that mainline crews get priority. Can you list in advance or do you just have to show up and hope you get a seat? Who can bump you? And, given that OO only operates for AA and Alaska along relatively limited routes, how would your chances of getting an Alaska jumpseat be if you aren't flying on a OO airplane on an Alaska route?

3. On aircraft operated by non-partner airlines (SWA, VX, etc etc), you cannot list in advance. You just show up at the airport and hope there is a seat. You are last in priority after mainline crew and crew at regionals that partner with that mainline.

I'm not talking about travel benefits...just the logistics of getting to and from work.

A few more questions:
1) Let's say you commute out of SFO, as I would be. Can you park for free in SFO employee parking or do you have to pay?

2) In the worst-case scenario, you've done your best but you can't find a seat on any airline, meaning you're stuck in Dubuque while you're supposed to be in O'Hare. Crew scheduling calls you for a trip, and you confess you can't make it. How many times can that happen before they show you the door?

3) In places such as MSP, ORD, DEN, COS, IAH (the junior RJ bases, I believe), are there crash pads within reach of the airport by public transit?

Sorry for the long-winded questions but given that an SFO/EMB base does not seem to be an option for new guys for quite some time, I just wanted to figure out how to prepare for the commuting life. Thank you for helping a FNG.