Thread: Skywest
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2014, 05:49 AM
wrxpilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: B767

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Yes senior prop drivers historically are prone to having trouble moving into glass jets. I've seen that at more than one airline.

But the flip side is true too...guys who spend years on an RJ and then upgrade into a steam gauge turboprop may have their work cut out for them.

Age is a factor for sure...any experienced CFI would be lying if he denied that on average younger folks learn faster and easier when it comes to flying.

Some of the PDX Bro people might not make it on the jet, they'll have to transfer to another Bro base. When the Bro finally goes away we'll probably have a few folks unemployed. I hope not but the odds aren't great.

If you're one of those super-senior Bro drivers reading this now and you're worried about jet training...I would suggest trying the transition NOW. That way if you don't quite make it you can try again one more time when the Bro finally goes away, and you'll have the experience from the first attempt under your belt. If you ride the Bro into the ground and subsequently don't complete jet training you'll be terminated since you won't have available the policy provision of reverting back to your previous airplane.
That's pretty good advice and I agree with you 100%.