Old 05-25-2014, 06:17 PM
Evil
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2011
Position: MD-88 FO Trainee

Originally Posted by Hueypilot View Post
... I told him if he needed any help trying to get on with us, he should give me a shout. He stepped back for a second and said "well, honestly, I'm waiting to hear from Delta or FedEx."

Well, good luck with that. Hope you hear from them, but there's a decent chance you might not. Until the oft-spoken "flood gates" open, you gotta try your hand at any decent major out there if you really want a 121 job.
I think it's often over-looked that a good number of guys aren't trying to get "hired by a major", they're trying to get hired by a select group of airlines that will allow them to live in their desired location and have minimal commute. I know that was the case with me. I only applied to 3x majors, because they were the only ones that I was interested in working for. Those companies aren't necessarily better or worse places to be than the ones I didn't apply to, just a much better fit for me and my family.

I was extremely fortunate to have a job that I didn't need to leave and that I enjoyed. I was in no rush and I could afford to wait for the companies I wanted. I was also very fortunate to get the thumbs-up from my 1st choice.

I know there are folks who are not in the situation I was in and need a j-o-b right now. I know there are also folks who's dream is to fly for a major, not any one in particular, just one of the big guys. There are also guys who legitimately have no idea how the industry works and just want to apply to the #1 company on the block and nobody else. I just think we need to take a second before we call someone a dummy because they didn't fire off 11x apps. Maybe that guy was waiting for DAL and FDX because they were right for him.

Either way, if he's waiting for those 2-3 companies, that's one less guy you'll have to compete against at the other places!