Thread: Spirit of NKS
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2014, 08:14 AM
The Juice
ULTP-Ultra Low Tier Pilot

Joined APC: Dec 2007

Originally Posted by Orbit View Post
Do you think first year pay will come up? I don't! The same guys that wrote this contract are writing the next one.

Spirit first year pay is a disgrace to ALPA!
That doesn't even make sense. The contract of $38.50 and hour was negotiated by and aided by ALPA National, ALPA lawyers, ALPA financial analysis departments, approved by an ALPA MEC and approved by ALPA pilots. If you feel it to be a disgrace, it would solely be a disgrace to ALPA, by ALPA.

I agree that first year pay is too low. And on the next contract, I would expect to see that number higher for first year. Some would argue that the company needs to raise that number on their own, to attract higher quality candidates when Legacy carriers start hiring more and the promise of a "quick upgrade" is gone from Spirit. Some would argue that, if necessary, the negotiating committee needs to raise the pay regardless of what the company intends to do with it. I simply feel it needs to be addressed, regardless, and it needs to be raised. Some may not care about those who are not on property yet, I feel it is the right thing to help lay a better path for those who come after us. Easy to say "pay your dues," sounds like a poor excuse to me. With the exception of a few lucky Riddle pilots, every pilot on the Spirit list has paid their dues in this career, one way or another.

If the same guys negotiate the next contract, that doesnt mean that things will remain the same. The make up of the pilot group is different now. When we reach a new TA, whenever that will be, pilots hired after 2010 will be in the majority and they will be the ones with the largest voice and influence with the next contract. I do not know if many of the senior pilots here realize that, but it is a fact. This next contract will need to be constructed to address many of the issues that mid level seniority pilots deal with in order for any TA to pass. A "B scale" isnt going to pass this time. Maybe many of these post 2010 hires will remember how much first year pay sucks and wont vote for a contract that doesnt address that.

Im betting $50 that you're a FLL pilot? Am I correct with this assumption?