View Single Post
Old 05-27-2014, 04:31 PM
CC268
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2014
Question Mechanical Engineering Major...

Hey guys, I will be a Senior in Mechanical Engineering at Northern Arizona University next year. I am 20 years old and will be graduating at 21 years old.

My passion is in aerospace - since I was a kid I knew I would either be a pilot or an engineer. While I am a Mechanical Engineer I have taken some aero related classes, including Aero-System Dynamics (which is really an advanced graduate school class that I took as an undergraduate).

In some ways I guess I am a bit discouraged and overwhelmed when it comes to deciding what my options are, how much schooling is required, etc. I have been lucky enough to have a scholarship that pays for my tuition, so I will be graduating debt free. I currently am working as an Engineering Intern at Sundt Construction (not aerospace related I know...but internships are tough to get and it is still good experience). This last year I had a 3.8 GPA or above, made Dean's List, and was invited to join the Honor Society.

I am however struggling to decide what I want to do and where to go. I thought about going to commercial pilot school after I graduate, but I am not sure if maybe I am better off trying to get hired with an aerospace company as an engineer. Another option would be a flight engineering position, but I am not sure how difficult it is to get a position like that. I have thought about a Master's in Aerospace Engineering, but I am not sure if I should continue on or want to continue on with more schooling.

I am also a very active person outside of school. I grew up riding and racing motocross, but I love to fish, hunt, snowboard, golf...you name it I probably do it haha. A job that allows for time with my family and doing the things I love is always of importance to me.

I guess I am writing here to see what your guys' opinions are. At this point my future is pretty unknown and in today's job market and world it can be quite discouraging.