View Single Post
Old 06-03-2014, 09:37 AM
John Carr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by Viperstick View Post
Looking for some feedback from folks who've been there, done that. I just retired from the USAF & was fortunate enough to be hired by United last fall. We've decided to move closer to family, but haven't settled on a location yet.

All through training, I heard "live in your domicile" and while that would greatly simplify life, none of the domiciles jazz me or my wife for the long term. We both like the Nashville area, but everything is RJ out of there.

Currently reserve on the Bus in EWR, but considering a lateral to IAH or maybe ORD in the fall. Here are some random thoughts I've had on the subject of commuting vs. living in domicile:

- Will the SkyWest purchase of larger RJs make commuting easier (i.e. less chances of being weight restricted)?
In a PERFECT WORLD, it should. However, keep a few things in mind;

BNA is a BUSY market, but increased capacity aircraft may lead to a DECREASE in frequency.

It may not ALWAYS be a SkyWest flight. UAL switches/changes up it's regional partner routes like crazy. May be a GoJets, one month, an RAH next month, whatever.

And most importantly, UAX is an outsourced product. Meaning, the reliability SUUUUUUUUUUCKS!!!!!!!!.

A SKW, or XJT pilot will ALWAYS have JS priority over you on an SKW aircraft if it's ORD or IAH, or wherever SKW opens their next domicile that ALSO has an XJT domicile there.

- If SWA opens a domicile in BNA (I just heard rumors), will that make getting in and out of BNA easier or harder?
I guess it depends. Would you be competing with other pilots from places like MDW to BNA? Hard to tell.

- I've heard the percentage of guys living in domicile vs. commuting is 40/60--true? For those who commute, why do you choose not to live in your domicile?
This one has been covered at extensive length, and the reasons are ALL OVER THE PLACE. Family, taxes, whatever. And although things have "settled down" somewhat. There was a time where even at the legacy level, they would displace/shrink/close/excess/surplus pilots off one fleet to another with frequency. Meaning a domicile change was often entailed. It gets to a point where one simply doesn't want to pick up and move, chasing this job. It's NOT the military, you DON'T have to "move with the mission". Ask a UAL 737 guy that lives in Seattle how well moving to base worked out. Or, a UAL MIA guy how well living in base worked out. Ask a CAL guy how well living in DEN worked out until they opened DIA, and that little interim 20 year period was.

- For those who commute on RJs, what other pitfalls are there? I know SkyWest pilots get first crack at the jumpseats, but what else?

Appreciate the feedback.
See the above. Not having priority on the JS, as well as the operator's reliability are usually the BIGGEST issues with commuting on an outsourced small jet provider.

You asked for opinions, so you got mine, and it's JUST MINE. I've commuted for over 14 years to 8 different domiciles. If you are going to make the "choice" to commute, DO IT FROM DAY ONE. IOW, DON'T get a taste of what it's like living in base from the get go, THEN start commuting. Finally become a lineholder with 15-16-17 days off? Pre-program your brain RIGHT NOW that it'll be 13,14, 15 days at home with some of the lost time off you may suffer from going in a night early or coming home the day after. ALL commutes suck, it's simply to the degree/amount in which they suck.