View Single Post
Old 06-03-2014, 04:59 PM
PRS Guitars
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2013
Position: A320 CA

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Wow! That's really surprising. It's been 25 years since I was an active instructor and I know that the PTS is ever changing, but wow!

Why do you think it's taking so long?
Part of it could be the economy. People probably have to take long breaks in training from time to time and basically have to relearn a lot. I stopped instructing 12 years ago, but the average at my airport was high (though not 70 hours) because it was a very busy airport and students could count on waiting .2 or more extra hours every sortie for takeoff.

I disagree with your assessment of new CFI's. We all had to start somewhere. Sometimes a new CFI can actually be an asset...they aren't burned out yet, they still have a passion and excitement for flying, they recently have been studying all of the material, etc.

But yes, given the choice I'd probably pick experience if possible. Just realize that experience comes at a price. Personally, I was charging a lot more my fourth year instructing ($50/hour vs $20) than my first year as an independent contract instructor.

You touched upon another warning sign of a CFI though. I'd watch out for guys that are purely in it for time building and view instructing as punishment to get to an airline.