View Single Post
Old 06-07-2014, 08:59 AM
WARich
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2012
Position: Babysitter

Originally Posted by m2206 View Post
New to the site, I've searched the site a little - but didn't answer my questions. I'm a new Instrument/Commercial pilot. I'm really interested in joining the AF, AFR or Air National Guard as a pilot. I only want to be a pilot, because that's what I really want to do. I would be pretty disappointed to land a different gig for 8 years...

What is the process of becoming a military pilot?
Does having these certificates give me a great shot at getting a slot?
IS joining a bad idea if I only want to fly and become a better pilot?
Would I find out I have a pilot slot before I join?

Thanks for the help!

Feel free to send me more tips!
Check out the Baseops.net site, many guard/reserve units put notifications for UPT boards on that site. I wouldn't venture to the active duty, I would stay with the guard/reserve.

As for the recruiter, think of the recruiter as an admin person, don't talk to them about anything else. You want to talk to the chief pilot of the guard/reserve squadron that interests you. They will be able to answer all the questions you have. Though once you find a guard/reserve unit you want to fly for, you need to put in some face time and get to know them a little. This way when they have their UPT board they already know you and it could give you a leg up.

Your certs are almost a must for a UPT slot in the guard/reserves so you're already ahead of the game. And obviously if you get selected in the UPT board it's a pilot slot so you will know before you enter whether or not it's a pilot position.

just my 2 cents.