View Single Post
Old 05-15-2007, 08:56 AM
ryane946
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: FO, looking left

Originally Posted by jungle View Post
I took a little time to check your facts today, and found this on the State's own web site:
California with its abundant natural resources has had a long history of support for renewable energy. In 2004, 10.2 percent of all electicity came from renewable resources such as wind, solar, geothermal, biomass and small hydroelectric facilities.
WRONG.
http://www.nei.org/documents/States_CA.pdf
31.6% of our energy comes from renewable energy (wind, hydro, solar).
Another 18.4% of our energy comes from nuclear power.

Texas, 88.8% of their energy comes from coal, oil, and natural gas. Non-renewable!!

Originally Posted by kansas
Perhaps you should at least visit a place like the midwest...maybe you'd understand.
I have. I have spent a good amount of time in 42 of the 50 states. I travel a lot and I love spending time at other places to learn the culture/environment. In fact, after 18 years of living in California my entire life, I decided to go to college in the Midwest.

Do you know what all that traveling/living in the midwest has made me realize? I learned that you can't beat the California.

My comment was not geared towards saying California is better than the Midwest. In fact, I have never said that. I said I feel sorry for those of you who live out "in the middle of nowhere." If "the middle of nowhere" is pseunonymous with the Midwest, that is not my problem.

I have a lot invested in this planet. Not only my life and my children's lives. I live in California, and do you know what our largest industry is?? It's not computers. It's not biotech. It's agriculture. Agriculture is California's largest industry. We have the world's most fertile valley. This year we had a VERY cold snap. Usually, it does not get below 32 degrees F in the valley. NEVER BELOW THAT! If it does, that is a big problem for some of the crops we grow. This year, we had days where it went to 15 degrees. The price of orange juice this year is gonna be a lot higher than usual. A lot of farmers got screwed this year.