View Single Post
Old 06-09-2014, 10:30 AM
Jetjok
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Retired

Originally Posted by Need4Speed View Post
Funny how that "Supply & Demand" stuff works. From a strictly business point of view, each of us is either profit, or we are overhead. If we are profit, our jobs are secure. If we are overhead, it's time to update the resume. I'm pretty sure job security for Fred, and the highly paid top leadership at FedEx, is secure.
Actually I'd substitute the words "direct labor" for your word "profit", in your example. For me, that's the thing that I'm having the hardest time understanding, as "direct labor" as defined in Wikipedia is: "Direct labor cost is a part of wage-bill or payroll that can be specifically and consistently assigned to or associated with the manufacture of a product, a particular work order, or provision of a service. Also, we can say it is the cost of the work done by those workers who actually make the product on the production line."

That said, I just don't understand why UPS treats its workers, ie, direct labor, so poorly. It truly makes no sense. You guys, along with the package car drivers, the guys doing the sort, and anyone else who touches the product along its route from customer thru your system and to the final destination, are the only ones making money for the corporation. Everyone else, including your CEO, CFO, all managers and those who don't touch the product are the ones costing your company money. So if there's work to be done, you guys' jobs should be secure. If there's not, then it's understandable why some guys are "let go" for a time. Just business. But they should treat you guys better. jmho.

And no thanks. You can keep your CEO, either the old one or the newbie (with 40 years learning how to treat people like crap), and we'll just suffer through with Mr. Smith.