Thread: JALways
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2006, 02:42 PM
TACAMO

Talking to a JAL Manager friend (not a JALWays Manager but JAL) in Narita, each hiring company must meet a certain expectations from JAL (i.e. number of candidates to interview etc.). The hiring companies are under a gun to fulfill all it's obligations to JAL. JAL gives the hiring company the minimums and that's what they are expected to bring to the interview. At the end of the day, JAL has all the say, the hiring company has no say, to who exactly gets offered the job (only JAL has the final say). So long as the numbers are met, the hiring companies has fulfilled their end of the deal. If they don't meet it, JAL will offer the contract to another hiring company for the next round etc. Last year, my buddy who flew with me in the Navy was told by WASINC that if every candidate passes the 3 phases of interview, all would be hired (there were about 45 interviewing). This was not true, in fact, the number JAL wanted was only 8 pilots. Some guys who made it to the medical and actually passed the medical (phase 3) were turned down, when JAL wittled it down to 8 pilots). If the hiring company has problem pilots, the hiring company will probably be put into the penalty box by JAL. The hiring company has no leverage, if JAL say's "Bend over", the hiring companies reply would be "How far". I'll be really honest, Japanese companies traditionally has been rather "sneaky", Yes means No, and Japanese Management can be a real difficult, they will smile while sticking a knife in your back. My philosophy is to be a "Good boy", show up on time, don't make waves, do my job to the best of my ability, and get paid "on time". A lot of pilots do have cultural adaptabilty problems with Japanese companies, it's not for all, but for some, it's great. Will I extend the contract for the next round, yes, but I'm always looking for better opportunities. I believe flying for JALWays is what you make of it, it can be great, or it can become a hell hole really quickly.