View Single Post
Old 06-11-2014, 10:42 AM
andycfi
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2012
Default July 31st ATP Written

Hello,

My situation is as follows: 32 years old, 1000-1100TT, 50ME, CFI/II/MEI. I gave up on flying professionally a long time ago. I even quit for several years at one point. I have a great job flying a desk with good pay and benefits and will probably stay there until I retire. Last year, I started to pick up a few students for fun and to put my licenses to use.

Recently, I found out that I can buy myself 2 more years to take the ATP practical under the soon-to-be old regulations if I take the written before August 1st. Since I gave up the original goal to fly professionally, I had pretty much decided that an ATP was not worth getting in my situation. That was a pretty simple decision to make because I could change my mind later. With the new rules, though, I don't think I will have much longer to change my mind. It might be worth taking the time to meet the requirements and pass the test so that I don't miss the chance to get the rating. I know that I would never invest 15K plus on the training after the rules change.

I have no interest in flying part 121. I also have no need for a "vanity rating." I'm simply thinking of getting it because there might be a cool retirement or part time job someday that might require an ATP. Getting it would leave some doors open for me one day if an opportunity came my way. At the same time, though, it is difficult to get 400 more hours with a fulltime job, a family, and other committments. There would have to be enough possible benefit to make it worth investing that kind of time.

My questions:
Do the new rules only affect the part 121 Multi Engine ATP, or will they also apply to the part 135 Multi Engine ATP? If only the 121, I am less concerned.

Do many 91 or 135 employers actually require an ATP?

Could not having one close doors for me in the future? I am not going to loose sleep if I never fly professionally, but as the old cliche goes, "never say never ..."

Thanks
Andy