Old 05-15-2007, 09:06 PM
loubetti
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Cessna 210 Turbo

Indeed. I just checked CO today for a R/T from EWR to SJU for two of us in coach. 35K miles one way per person, or 140K miles R/T for the two of us. Not worth it for me, and I'll save the miles for when I am traveling solo on a longer flight, then blow them on first class.... maybe.

I remember 4 years ago spending 90K miles to fly two of us first class from LGA to DFW on Delta, and 8 years ago spending 100K miles to fly two of us in Premium Economy on VS from JFK to LHR. Those days appear to be over.

I don't even bother with collecting miles, I just transfer points (one point per mile per $ spent) from my Amex card to the required airline. Even then, it is quickly becoming a waste.

Ultimately, I do not fly based on price. Domestically I fly CO, and since I live near their EWR hub, this makes sense.

I do not see airlines going bankrupt over FF miles, as they can just change the rules / restrictions to suit.

Indeed, FF miles are a valueless product to begin with and while the article has some merit, I do not believe everything I read.