Thread: Usaa
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2014, 09:17 AM
CheapTrick
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2012
Position: A350

Originally Posted by e6bpilot View Post
I agree with you on a lot of the above. If the price is somewhat competitive (within two standard deviations), USAA is worth it. Their service, in my opinion, is outstanding. I made my first auto insurance claim in about 9 years with them, and they handled it very well. We shall see how much they jack my rate up.
Sometimes, though, their products just aren't that good. When shopping around for life insurance for retirement, they wanted way too much for way too little. Navy Mutual blew them out of the water, and didn't charge extra for the privilege of flying for a living.

I think USAA is starting to cast their net too wide in an effort to appease their shareholders and make money in the short term. The ads on TV are telling. They used to have an extremely low risk pool of insured members, which kept rates fairly low. Now you can get USAA insurance if your mom or dad spent 6 months in the Army and got a general discharge.
Hey, E6b. Old Tacamo here. I dropped USAA two years ago and have never looked back. SSA check was $6k+ and my premiums went down $1,700/yr. USAA wants me back, but I see no difference in my present insurer (local agent too) and the San Antonio peeps. USAA used to be outstanding 20 years ago, but now they are just another big insurance company.