View Single Post
Old 06-16-2014, 01:09 PM
Oberon
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: 757/767

Originally Posted by dtwlandlord View Post
Thanks for all the feedback on the ER. Just got home from my yellow fever shot, so at least I'm covered if I end up going that route! With the ER slowly shrinking, would the 737 be a compromise, with the occasional senior -900 trip assigned to a lowly reserve pilot?
I can't speak on the 737 but I'm in the final week of 7ER training so I know a little about that.

Systems training is primarily CBT so you should have a pretty good idea how that works. The systems evaluation is strictly "need to know" material and the CBT and LOD ( Learning Objectives Document) train directly to the eSV which is a computer based test. There is no traditional "oral exam". 757-200 systems are taught and differences are presented at the end of each section. It's a very straight forward process but it's an old airplane so people like me who came from the latest, greatest gee wiz airplane will have " ***?" moments, especially in the auto flight section.

My suggestion is to get your indoc assignments done as soon as possible and start working on the CBT when you get it. You are supposed to get one week off before training and that may be all you get. Most people in my class found it hard to get work done at home. Be realistic about your home commitments and use you time wisely and it really isn't a problem.

International training is introduced before domestic operations. The idea is not that you will perfect the process but that more exposure will make TOE easier, which is probably true, but very frustrating. I think the international training interrupts the normal learning process. You will do an off-track diversion before ever doing a normal descent from cruise. Don't know what a "track" is? Neither did I before training.

The 7ER is a lot of work for someone with no international experience. The airplane is old so it is a little more to learn than a newer airplane but Delta's systems philosophy doesn't require knowing more than you can control from the cockpit so it's not bad. International operations adds a lot of study time on top of learning a new airplane at a new company.

Plan on studying a lot and you won't have a problem. The instructors are really good and the DIG (Delta Instructor's Guide) lays out all of the lessons exactly as they will be performed so you know what to study.

If you want the easiest path to the line I suggest another airplane. I don't know what that is. The 717 should be relatively easy but it's a new program so it may be a bit less organized. That's speculation for what it's worth.

Send me a PM or email me if you know who I am. I'll tell you whatever you want to know.

Cheers,
John