View Single Post
Old 06-20-2014, 02:27 PM
Loon
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2014
Position: 737-Right

Originally Posted by harrier1231 View Post
Someone told me to mark my calendar and come back in two years to tell everyone how it's going since I left the airlines. It's on my calendar, but I figured I'd make an update.

So far, no regrets. I have been able to fly for fun a few times. Did my first aileron roll last weekend and have been flying with friends here and there. I miss the jet, but that was such a small part of the job.

What made me post this, though, was something that happened Friday. A former coworker at the airline posted a desperate plea for help. He is getting married this summer and wasn't able to bid the days off he needs. The company is of course doing nothing to help, and threatening him with missed assignments if he no shows. He started the process last year as a wedding takes a long time to plan and he wanted to make sure he could get the time off. The company assured him it would be fine. The company lied.

Counter: My boss emailed me Friday morning and asked me to go to lunch. I thought I was in trouble but turns out it was just a check in and see how things are going lunch. He seems worried I might leave and go back to flying. He has no idea how unlikely that is.

During lunch, he asked me when I last saw my dad. I mentioned it had been a while and he told me that now that I pay for my flights, and weekend flights are expensive, I should take some time off during the week to go see my family, as he believes these things are important and make a person perform better when they are happy. He also then told me I can come in later on days when I work out. Now, obviously pilots can't come in late, but it's more just the respectful treatment I am getting as a professional.

I have paid off my car, I am in my own home every night. I am slowly rebuilding friendships and creating new ones in a way life on the road never allowed. I have the same schedule every day, which seems to have had a profound impact on how I feel in general. I was not feeling well the other day and just went home. No drama. No begging or pleading or accusations of lying.

It remains to be seen how time has an impact, but as long as I keep hearing horror stories from those still in, I don't see myself forgetting what the life was like, or glorifying the day to day.

tl;dr: Very happy with my decision still. No regrets. Very happy with my life.
reading your post gives me hope