Old 06-20-2014, 09:33 PM
MD11
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Out of Regional Jet flying
Default Foreign airlines may save regional pilots

Let me start by saying this is not flame-bait, but the reality of a better life and career for most regional pilot does not lay with American legacy carriers. ALPA and the big three have turned their backs on the hard working and sometimes abused 18,000 regional pilots. Simple contract corrections, modest QOL improvements, solid flow and/or seniority list placement have been ignored. What do the legacy carriers expect the 18,000 pilot regional pilot monster to do… sit and wait to be invited to the exclusive esoteric party? If they had any common sense, they would include regional pilots now, and I mean tomorrow. If not, I believe our pilots livelihood and QOL improvements will be provided by foreign carriers. Again, this post is not meant to anger anybody, but you have to place yourself in the shoes of the everyday regional pilot.
I have exited the industry after flying for multiple regional carriers (4 types). I have no checkride failures, a degree plus multiple other FAA tickets… still no call from the big boys. I am not unusual, but rather a carbon copy of the multitudes of highly qualified regional folks that are currently out there and not getting called.
I fervently hope that foreign carriers are granted permission to operate in the U.S. and hire American pilots. I was very disappointed in the latest congressional vote concerning NAI.
Some of you may toss me aside as disgruntled, but there are thousands of other regional pilot that are of the same opinion but silent.
I will do everything I can to promote foreign carriers to operate in the U.S. and for regional pilots to convert their licenses for a better life.
REMEMBER, the legacies created this 18,000 regional pilot monster,,,, please accept the repercussions.
For regional pilots, listed below is a bit of info concerning a possible better way of life.

If you have an ICAO ATP and more than 500 hours on Multi Pilot Aircraft:
Your Requirements in Brief
Pass 14 Written Exams
Obtain a First Class Medical
Pass Training as Required in a Flight Simulator
Approximately $2000

As an example concerning regional compensation… compare this to your Regional paycheck….
Norwegian pays its captains about $170,000 annually and pays first officers about half that.
Again not flamebait,,,, but if you insist. ALPA you can kiss my A$$