View Single Post
Old 06-22-2014, 01:44 PM
ghilis101
La Familia Delta

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: B-717 FO / C-17 AC

Originally Posted by DALMD88FO View Post
Or apparently someone that doesn't have one at all. I've been here 14 years, I knew that if I wanted to be at Delta Air Lines then I needed a degree. If they don't have one then they obviously didn't want to be here. The best pilots that I've flown with bar none were at a cargo airline that I flew for on furlough. When I got back to Delta and we started hiring I engaged the hiring department about exceptions to the 4 year degree requirement for some of these guys. The answer was absolutely not. So much for one standard.

There are probably quite a few pilots without a college degree that want to fly for DAL, but at the time they came up in this industry it wasn't emphasized. Nobody in my age group (early to mid 30's) and younger has entered this industry without this knowledge, and you'll likely see that the overwhelming majority of us have degrees whether we intended to use them or not, because we knew it was required. As for the older crowd (40+) they had different guidance and it wasn't necessarily expected of them to have a college degree. So I don't blame them, nor do I think it shows a lack of drive or dedication. Remember, the next step is a masters degree. We laugh about it now, but one day you'll need a masters, who knows.