View Single Post
Old 06-24-2014, 10:01 PM
CFI Guy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2013
Default Harvey Wyatt loss of license insurance

I've recently been looking into purchasing my own loss of license / disability insurance. From what I gather, Harvey Wyatt offers the most comprehensive plan specifically for pilots. I would like to hear from anyone who is has first hand knowledge / experience dealing with them when it comes time to pay out. I understand insurance companies make a profit by NOT paying out but I don't want any surprises if the time comes (I hope it never does).

My company does not offer such benefits and I'd much rather spend the premium towards a new car or even saving for retirement. I guess I'm getting old now and starting to worry about my health or if some stupid accident were to occur. I recently got married and no longer can worry just about myself. I've gone without health insurance for years when I was younger but I know that I was lucky I never got seriously ill or had any major accidents. Being a pilot entails maintaining a level of health that does not matter so much in other careers. Even though I'm in perfect health I still worry every time I go in for a medical.

I'm looking at the short and long term plus extended disability policies specifically.