View Single Post
Old 06-28-2014, 11:24 AM
WorldDC10
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: B744/8 CA at Atlas

Originally Posted by NoJoy View Post
Question on the travel. If you live near your base, then drive there, you are going to be gone for say 17 days in a row. But if they fly you to your base; its outside of the 17 days? Is this right? Does this cut into your time off? I am just trying to learn how the sched is working out for the pilots. 17 days on and the rest off-including travel to and from home. How does the sched usually work out?
Having been here around 18 months my experience is that as a junior guy you can't hold the 30 day lines (747) - they tend to be 1 17 day trip with the rest of the month off.

So that leaves 60 day lines. They are usually 3 trips in the 60 day period although I did get one that was 2 17 day trips in 60 days. For example my July Aug award has me off1 on 14 off 13 on 14 off 12 on 5 off 3.

You are correct that you normally have to travel on days off to get to base (sometimes 2 days to ANC). The JFK base tends to go senior because most trips start with a commercial on the first day from JFK so you can just commercial from home instead and not lose a day off.

So, yes, it generally, cuts into your time off as a junior guy (just as jumpseating to work does everywhere else - but at least here we have a ticket and don't have to worry about getting to work)

Hope this makes sense.

(And I think that this should have been on the other, original,Atlas thread!)