View Single Post
Old 06-30-2014, 02:01 PM
totaleclipse
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: 737 FO

"military will make you a better pilot without a doubt. Not that a military pilot is better than his civilian counterpart, but what we will teach you to do during your military training can not be replicated in the outside world"

Really?? I can't believe what I just read. Not only did I pay for my Bachelors and Masters ('I' do you hear me? 'I') I paid for all my flight training. Yes, in a Cessna and a Beechcraft. The list goes on and on. Yes I flew twin Turbro Props, Dash 8's, ATR's, SAAB 340's. Then I flew 50, 70 and 90 seat Passenger Jets ranging from the ERJ to the CRJ. When I got hired by SWA with an all civilian background, I had 12,000 hours total time (4 Jet type ratings) of which 5000 hours of that was PIC TURBINE alone. My civilian counterparts had 3 and 4 times the total time of the Retired Military guys. I had more PIC turbine than most Military guys had total time by a long shot. The Military men and women by in large require additional training both sim and aircraft just to make it through as new hires. You may have flown more high performance aircraft during your initial training, but you did mostly VFR and mostly a type of flying that had not one thing to do with Part 121 aviation (IE; flying passengers into Aspen/Vail/Telluride, in heavy snow; holding in a 90 passenger jet outside of Kennedy waiting for thunderstorms to pass; on and on) So to say Military makes you a better pilot is so inaccurate but part and parcel of what we as civilians have to listen to day in and day out when you guys come over to OUR world. Get humble man and spread that word. Part 121 will eat your lunch if you don't.