View Single Post
Old 07-02-2014, 10:18 AM
olly
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007

Originally Posted by skookum View Post
I am a new user here on the forum, hoping to get the skinny from the grassroots level.

I am FDX pilot returning from long term mil leave this winter and can hold the right seat of the MD in ANC or the 777 in MEM. I favor ANC but am unsure about how long I can hold a line before getting pushed to sit reserve from a crash pad. As a commuter to either domicile, sitting reserve in ANC sound more difficult/expensive. Re-training on a new airplane in the next 24 months doesn't sound so great either. I can hold a decent line in ANC for now, on the triple it looks like a secondary line only.

For that matter, would love any advice on those commuting from Bend OR to ANC. It is near the top of our list but seems remote. Thanks in advance for the perspective.
Take a look at the bid packs, take a look at commuting J/S's online & off (passrider.com- will show you almost all the offline pax carrier possibilities).

Stayed there 4 years, no car, no crashpad- Used B&B's where they come pick you up & drop you off. Left in 2010, so my experience is dated.

On 777 now, not much variety in the cities, mostly KIX, NRT, CDG, DBX, OVG, DEL, BOM, CGN, HKG. Mostly single line departures, but there is a growing amount of 4+/- day trips to the same places. Domestic is rare, as is open time trading opportunities.

IMHO, ANC will be around for a while, especially as the company gets KIX up to speed as a sort hub. Global & domestic economy seems to be strengthening just a bit or, businesses are restocking for fall/winter sales/production- Just my observation from loads, and business news.

Welcome back!