Otto
MikeF16
Otto
close
  • Joined APC
    Jul 2013
  • Position
    Turkish Pile Driver
Quote: I suspect it's asked to see if one can dope a simple trig problem, ie did you pay attention and can remember high school stuff.

GF
Except that it's not a simple trig question. At least not without a calculator. Unless of course you're Rainman and have 100% of the sine/cosine/tangent tables memorized.

Quote: I would just visualize (on a map) where I am and where I want to be in relation to the VOR, and the approximate course to get there. I'd then look at my heading and turn the shortest way to get on that course.

It helps to understand the difference between accurate and precise and to always seek accuracy. Accurate (here) means correct, not erroneous: precise means exact, not approximate. Fixation on precision is often the cause of gross errors. My $0.02.
This would work real world, however in this test question the available answers were within 5 degrees of each other which would require real math.

I'm hoping this is just bad poop and there is no such question on the test. If the question is identical, then I'm also good.

Here's another from the Sheppard Air prep: You lose your right engine after V1 while taking off from Runway 30. Which of the following wind conditions would make a continued takeoff most challenging?

2 answers are throw aways, the other two are:
180/30
360/30

So what is worse, air over the dead engine or a quartering tailwind over the good engine? My engine out takeoff scenarios have been pretty binary for most of my career. And who the hell would takeoff on RWY 30 with 180/30 winds anyway? Yet there's the question...