View Single Post
Old 07-10-2014, 03:42 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by e6bpilot View Post
You can say there are no quotas by designator and I am sure that reads fine on the board precept, but the community managers ensure they have enough folks.
I can't wait to see how this all turns out.
The SECDEF can specify certain skills and experience as being desireable, ie procurement, special operations, cyber, etc which may indirectly favor certain designators (ie SEALs all have SO experience by definition).

The way the community managers (and the community flag leadership) ensure they have enough folks promoted is by arranging career paths so that enough of the right folks get to build the right resumes. If the navy needs to downsize aviators, they don't need to manipulate promotion board proceedings... that's not what they exist for, and it would probably be illegal. There are other ways to downsize (ie remove bonuses or even RIF people).

I kind of doubt that many folks intentionally "blew it", and you're right about 1320s as well. I suspect there was some sort of community screw-up, perhaps years in the making. I don't know of any big aviation force structure downsizing, at least nothing that's a done deal. Can't wait to hear the story on this...