Thread: Tough choices
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2014, 09:55 AM
hindsight2020
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Center seat, doing loops to music

I second the choice on buying an airplane. It's incredibly liberating to fly on your own time. The costs are a bummer, but hey freedom ain't free. I currently fly military but I also recognize I won't be allowed to do that forever, so when the time comes I get kicked out, I'll go right back to where I started, piston GA. That's why I own my own aircraft.

Van's RVs are incredible fun if your mission is solo or no family travel. Otherwise there's plenty of options, though dated if you want to stay under 100K acquisition. I will also say that just because you exit stage on the 121 world it doesn't mean you have to forego flying turbine equipment forever. There's part-time turbine work one could get involved in on the GA side, especially if money or turbine time building is not the goal.

I love flying as much as the next guy, but if I couldn't make six figures doing it with a schedule conducive to seeing your family enough that you kids acknowledge you as their father, then I'd do something else for six figures and just fly for fun full time and/or professionally part-time. My economic needs are no different than those of a pedestrian. As such I live under that life constraint and have to pick my vocational choices accordingly.

I still contend private GA provides a reasonable way to get your flying jollies off without incurring life-shattering [poor] aviation vocational choices. I consider decade-long tenures in the right seat of a regional airline an especially poor vocational choice. Good luck to you.