View Single Post
Old 07-11-2014, 08:30 PM
Flamer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2009
Position: Lowest Pay I Could Find

Originally Posted by Gearjerk View Post
I do not disagree with you. The (high) morale of any "unit" has implications on said unit's success; likewise, (low) morale has negative affect on the operation. Again, I am not arguing with your correlation between morale and (unit) success.

With that being said, many moons ago, when I was a young officer in the Army it was instilled in us the required tenets of an Army Officer(leader). These included, Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selflessness, Honor, Integrity and Professionalism (Acronym: LDRSHIP).

You asked me if I thought a "professional is expected to go above and beyond?" In reality, each person's glass has varying levels of fullness depending on their thirst. Does that make sense?(no sarcasm intended) One person's "above and beyond" might be another person's "professional" duty as a Commercial Airline Pilot, performing their fiduciary duty, under the current contract (PWA) with said employer.

Standing by for incoming.
The lower limits of what is required by the PWA are, well, pretty low. That is why type A motivated individuals are hired into the pilot cadre. I agree with PD on this one though, pilots all go WAY BEYOND what we are REQUIRED to do. If the entire group decided to explore the minimums as outlined by the PWA the wheels would fall off in 72 hours. There is that pesky status quo thing though. I'm also not really sure mgt has good visibility on how the pilots glue it all together. The "thanks" emails from SD are nice, but a contract representative of the pilots daily contributions would be even better.