View Single Post
Old 07-15-2014, 08:10 PM
mac man4444
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2014

Originally Posted by evamodel00 View Post
Junior year/senior year is the best time to go.

As far as JET having limited spots, do not buy into that. Every one who I know that applied in my university got in. And that is not dependent on your language skills. They actually prefer people in the beginning/middle skill range so they are fresh and willing to learn as much as possible.

The credit system is different at all universities i'd imagine. I got credits towards my major for specialized classes they had set up for study abroad students there.

Not sure about what it takes as far as qualifications for airlines, but I'm 100% sure it's insane.

What grade of the JLPT you take depends on the job you are applying to. If you are fluent and can pass N1, that's what you would take, but N1 is native level so it's impractical. Some jobs which know that you need to communicate on a daily basis with native speakers will require a higher level.
You mentioned that teaching through JET was temporary? What are the people who got in from your university going to do after it is over? Can you renew your contract/time (not exactly sure how it works)? And do you need a degree in education to apply for the JET program?

I'll talk to my counselor about how studying abroad would go once the new year kicks off. I might end up waiting until I go to college if it should prove too difficult.