View Single Post
Old 05-20-2007, 04:37 PM
Ftrooppilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: Body at sea level; heart at 70,000+

Originally Posted by aerospacepilot View Post
There is currently no pilot shortage in the United States. There is a shortage of qualified pilots in the U.S.
This is like saying , "There is no shortage of military pilots if war breaks out. There is only a shortage of qualified military pilots. We have all those retired military pilots we could call back. "

All those retired military pilots (including me) are already flying for the airlines or aviation industry, have gone on to other non-flying careers, or are just plain retired. They are no longer QUALIFIED to fly military aircraft - non current, to old and too slow. I HATE THE TRUTH.

Thinking all those "unqualfied" civilian pilots out there will solve the airline pilot shortage is having "your head in the sand."

I'll stick my neck out and recommend an airline funded national pilot training program similar to the old " USAF Aviation cadet program." It should be conducted by a government contractor whose performance is evaluated by the USAF or NAVY training commands.

- no college required, no prior aviation experience required
- no cost to those selected for program (small salary)
- extensive screening, testing and interview for entry
- one year long on a re-opened UPT base
- programed attrition (performance not money gets you through)
- trained to be an airline pilot (turns on a tree are out)
- evaluates personal traits and piloting skills
- graduates get "industrial (not military) secret security clearance
- all check rides given by FAA
- use a high performance single engine turbo to determine piloting skills
- learn to fly upside down and do spins (good for you)
- use the simulator and multi-jet for advanced training
- only cost to student is one year of "busting your but or else"
- 10% of each class stay as instructors and have delayed airline entry (Union seniority # assigned at graduation)
- graduates must work for airline for five years or reimburse costs
- 50 grads, 50 airline openings, #1 in class picks, then #2, etc.

This doesn't eliminate other programs (UND, ERAU, FBOs, etc); it's just a way of attacking the problem. I'm sure many of you have better ideas or changes. Let's hear them.