Thread: "O" gram 5/20
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2007, 06:26 PM
Albief15
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006

Flying extra by a lot of folks? I'm not sure that is the case. I rarely flew a full line due to ANG or other obligations the last 4 years. Now that I'm not flying Eagles, I've got a ton of make-up time in my bank but there isn't much to choose from. Most of my buddies are dropping trips--not picking up extra stuff. Reserves appear to be living the life of Riley...B reserve anyway.

I think the optimizer is doing some of that. I also think volume is down. That volume drop starting last fall is what (I hear) has spooked the bean-counters into the current slow-down.

I like hiring--I like moving up as much as anyone. However, the ability for guys to work a little extra historically has made this place a bit more furlough resistant and allowed some guys to grab extra coin. It also allows slackers like me the ability to drop trips without being denied. It also allows us the ability to exert some leverage during negotiations (like the MD11 FOs did last time). I think its good for everyone that guys scoop up the open time--except for those 38 poolies. I think they've got a 12-18 month wait based on how things went last time the tap was turned off.