Old 07-21-2014, 08:25 AM
gettinbumped
Banned

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: A320 Cap

Originally Posted by BMEP100 View Post
Setting aside the comparative generalizations of other programs, where did that savings number come from? I'm guessing the people whose job it was to implement and manage the Sabre program. I can tell you from direct experience that Sabre hasn't saved us a dime in fuel the first couple months I have used it domestically. Same is true for the ACP program, that everyone flying a desk raved about. Even the Sabre experts will tell you now that it is place, ( backpedaling) that the cost savings really come from the long range planning including avoiding some airspace. Any dimwit with much flying experience (including me) could have told them that taking off and landing with lower flap settings will save a little fuel. I think it is important not to forget either the costs for training everyone on the latest, greatest technology, and the negative effect on safety this represents.

I was referring to long haul international - as in EWR-PEK
Still, you run into the same problem in reverse. Crews use an international FP 99.9% of the time, and then they get a 777 leg SFO-ORD. It makes it very difficult to try to remember what's on the flight plan if you only see it once every 2 years or so.