View Single Post
Old 07-22-2014, 09:14 AM
tsquare
No longer cares

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: 767er Captain

Originally Posted by gzsg View Post
For management.

A complete and utter total fail for ALPA.

If nothing else, I was excited about hard limit duty days. Common sense says 13 hours is too long considering the lives at stake. Unbelievablely here we are with the same old thing.

I actually think its worse now.
I agree for the most part. It certainly isn't any better. The above highlight is interesting though. We are in a 24/7 profession. Fatigue is part of the job. I HATE all nighters, but sometimes they are unavoidable. IMHO, they border on unsafe with 2 pilots. I don't care how much you try to rest, the science that I have read says you cannot truly make the shift to backside of the clock on a scant 12 hour period. So along comes legislation that makes it "safer", yet totally ignores the proven science that a 10 minute catnap improves alertness by quite a bit. If I sleep a normal night, and start work at 9am, I can go 13 hours with little problem. (A caveat to that would be if I am up and down in the weather all day reduces that).

So the question is what would make these fatigue issues safer? Maybe not flying on the backside of the clock at all? How could we do that? Lives at stake or not, it is a fact in our profession that we do what we can to mitigate that fatigue. Some guys can handle it, and some cannot. I bid around allnighters second only to Africa.

And I think it extremely unfair to call this a fail for ALPA. I read the proposed legislation beginning to end, and was shocked when the final document came out. That was done at the bureaucrat bribery level, and I don't believe ALPA had any input at that point. I could be wrong. But I do get a bit incensed when I hear ALPA talk about this as a science backed piece of law. That is laughable imho.

And did you really quote yourself???

Originally Posted by gzsg View Post
Can't speak for purple, but a FAR 117 was a grand slam!