View Single Post
Old 07-22-2014, 02:33 PM
Schwanker
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2009

Originally Posted by Bucking Bar View Post
The topic came up in the context of retirement savings.

Either way, take yearly income, less opportunity cost, compounded by whatever rate you believe. (My investment experience has been an overall 9.5 average, but I use 7 for my retirement modeling) To match what my father enjoys from FedEx, plus inlfation, will take me about 4.5 million in producing assets.

Alternatively take the view that new hires know the deal and lost nothing.

I think those who lost the most are those who have not yet been hired due to outsourcing.

Matters not which view you take. My family dealt with more than 7 years of furlough and I do understand your frustration with events. Even more so since your furlough could have been mitigated better than it was. Rather than complaining about J C Lawson, the Delta MEC could have simply negotiated with Delta to hire Delta pilots at Delta's divisions who were rapidly hiring.

Kind of like Compass? Mesaba wouldn't allow furloughed NWA pilots access to the 76 seaters if scope relief was given (although they were ok with going to new hire positions without coughing up your seniority number). Therefore, the scope relief resulted in the creation of Compass providing jobs to those furloughed plus allowing future flowbacks providing excellent furlough protection we still enjoy today.