View Single Post
Old 05-21-2007, 03:48 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by CRJ1000 View Post
WHY? The person who got their degree online is probably building time while they work on their degree. What advantage is there to sitting in a class? Let me know...maybe I will take personal leave from my airline so I can sit in a class or two.
There are two perception problems with online degrees:

1) Many older folks equate online degrees with fruadulent mail order degrees...this may not actually be the case, but it is a perception. Most people doing the hiring at major airlines are older, not younger.

2) Those of us who attended a traditional school recognize the tremendous value of the social interactions and teamwork in that environment. This is critical in the business world...when I was a manager at a large well-known company I did a significant amount of hiring, and I would automatically exclude folks with online, National University, ITT, etc degrees. The only exception would be for technician-level jobs.

I would suggest that a traditional degree will do you the most good. If that's not possible, then try to do a distance learning program at a well-known school which primarily offers traditional degrees. The degree will not state anything about online.

USMC: I have to respectfully disagree...I've been in the business world, and your perception does not match the folks who do the hiring. An online degree would not hinder your search for a regional job, but is that where you want to stay?