Old 07-24-2014, 09:53 PM
barabek
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2010

Originally Posted by RMWRIGHT View Post
well i paid for the ratings myself (if thats what you mean) i know i dont have much time and im not doing P2F! so i tried everything i could think of to try to get a job. i assumed that if im applying against others with the minimum and i have this and that maybe it might get me noticed as someone who is motivated and not just trying to get get by.

i also thought if i could get a type rating it would demonstrate to the airline i was capable of passing their training .

I paid for the ME time too (mostly apache but was cheap at the time)

when i apply for a big jet job they always want 500 hours in type. its a catch 22.

nobody wants to work for gr8 lakes because the salary isnt even enough to pay for your student loans let alone you food

the airlines were spoiled having 50 applicants for every job now its 10.

i read somewhere that some regional wanted to hire 50 but only hired 28.
(they failed to mention how many applied)

thanks for reply

No worries, I'm not judging you. You'll get a job soon, I believe (provided you don't have some major skeletons in your closet). Getting a job at an airline takes 2 major steps. First, get noticed and invited to an interview (the hardest part in my opinion). The second one is rather easy - study hard, over prepare and be ready to explain your past. You'll have tons of interview gouges on line to study from, there are companies that prepare you for a specific interview, basically endless resources out there.
Going back to your type ratings. It's very unusual to have a type rating and no time in the type, so it always triggers a warning. Some type ratings may even hunt you for a long time (e.g. B737). It's commonly known that if you want to get a job at Southwest (and currently even get an interview), you must have a B737 type. Well, many who do get it and then never get called or fail the Southwest interview are struggling to get any calls from other majors. Simply, they look like Southwest is on the top of their list and will bail once get a class at Southwest. Obviously it happens only in the scenarios where there are hundreds of experienced applicants for each opening. That's the reality at the majors right now and in my opinion it will never change. Good news you're trying to get to a regional so it is actually a matter of time for you. Make sure you have the important stuff on your resume. Collage degree and a current flying job is on the top of the list for sure. I'd skip all those type ratings and admit you have them later when they ask. Tell them what you were saying above, your intentions were to further your skills and increase chances to get a call from abroad. Also, you were unaware of the negative consequences, bla, bla, bla... You know what I mean. Being humble but confident is important. Also ability to admit mistakes and learn from them is a positive trait. Be patient and keep flying and you'll be in a regional soon. Now if that's a thing to celebrate is a matter of opinion, or a matter of time to be more precise... Anyway, good luck!