Old 07-24-2014, 11:23 PM
BahamaBreeze
Regional FO

Joined APC: Mar 2012
Position: DH8D FO

Hey guys,

Since I started this thread the day it popped up on our union's website, I've spoken to several at my company about the prospect, and you'll be happy to know I've heard of no one that would take the offer. I'm in a Regional operation with no jets, and of course people want to get onto jets sooner rather than later, but for the current pay in the US Regionals, no one is willing to give up their lifestyles here in Australia. We do, on average, about 100 duty hours (~60 stick hours) per 28 day roster with 9 days off, and no back-of-the-clock flying. 6 weeks paid Annual Leave. No commuting. I generally have 5-7 Reserve days in a roster, of which I get called out about 1-2 of them. And we're on a fixed salary. And on top of that salary we get 10% superannuation (like a 401k).

We are often being offered a carrot on a stick in terms of jets, but people know that's never really going to happen in our company, so unless you're a 20 year Captain here, most of us would go elsewhere if the opportunity arose. But Qantas mainline hasn't hired since mid-2009 due to the GFC and the growth of the LCC Jetstar, and even now Jetstar has halted hiring. So no movement. Until then, we'll try to enjoy our expensive country. I spent 3 days at the beach last week. 2 of those were reserve days. Come out here, guys! I like Americans. Especially the girls.

BB