Old 07-26-2014, 11:34 AM
flyingreasemnky
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006

Originally Posted by johnso29 View Post
Are you certain about that? I believe UAL pilot's scope for jets is more restrictive than for t-props. If the seat count on the jets go down then maybe it could work. I think AA, UAL, & DAL are all at 76 seats jet max now.
They are restricted for seat count as far as the a/c flying for them but not the seat limit for other a/c on the same cert flying for someone else. That is the problem with DAL's scope as it limits the size of all a/c on the same cert regardless of who they fly for.

Originally Posted by CptGSXR View Post
Whole thing smells fishy. There is NO way this saves them any $$ unless there is something they are hiding. Here is why:

Cost MORE to add a new AC Type to a cert, manuals and training and FFA approval. Think about it, NEW manuals cost more than updating older ones. If the 145s are truly to be parked in 24 months then this does NOT save money. You still need to move 'most' of the admin costs to the larger cert because you have more resources to manage.
It does save a lot of money initially as they no longer have to pay double for a bunch of VPs, middle management, SOC and other support staff. Also, believe it or not, we are also having a problem staffing FAs. Its no longer worth it to be an FA with our crappy outstations, low pay, horrible benefits, and abysmal travel benefits (the main reason most become FAs). So they are then able to have all the FAs dual qualified and use them on both the 145s and 170s which means fewer FAs will be required. They already have closed quite a few of the RP bases and will likely only be in LGA by the time the merger occurs. I believe the FAs already have a provision in their new contract for co-basing too.

All the pilots have just been issued company Ipads so by the time the merger happens, they won't have to print off new manuals. They will just update a couple PDFs and issue some new badges.

According to BBs roadshow, Delta wants all the DCI carriers to all wear the same uniform so that adds up to another small cost as they won't have to supply two sets of uniforms for the rest of the people on the cert.

This cert merger is all about removing redundant costs which will same a ton of money in the end. BB has already stated that we will be going down to just the 170's and the Q's. Once the Airways birds are at 76 seats or less with the 190's gone, I have no doubt Shuttle will be gone as well. He can probably sell of the RP cert for a decent profit as well because it already has Saabs, 145's, CRJ's, and 170's on it.