View Single Post
Old 07-29-2014, 03:00 AM
BDGERJMN
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: Walmart Greeter

Originally Posted by dords91 View Post
I just started my Naval Aviation career and would like some general information on transitioning from military to the airlines. I am still in API so I know I have a lot of time ahead of me to think about my future and I should be just focused on getting winged, but I still want a general idea. I want to fly P-8s (and yes I know needs of the Navy outweigh my wants). I know flying P-8s will give me a 737 type rating which looks really nice on a resume. My main question is whether I will have enough total flight time when I get out (about eight years after winging) for the major airlines? I kind of want to stay away from the regionals. My other main question would be is becoming an airline pilot really worth it? Over the past year I have talked with some of my friends dads who are airline pilots for legacy carriers and they kind of made the job seem not worth it. After spending nearly ten years in the Navy when I get out, I do not want to my family to have to make more sacrifices with me not being there for birthdays, holidays, ect. Anyway, I would really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

FLY NAVY!!!!
Really?? Take note of the bold text above and take and heed the advice of those who took the time to respond to your post. Your questions are not questions you should be asking on this board or in any other public forum at this stage in your career for a number of reasons. Right now you have a wallet sized photo of the big picture and your priorities are misplaced. You haven't even stepped foot in an orange and white airplane much less a gray airplane (if you're still in API) and you're talking about which platform will provide you the best avenue of approach to the airlines? I have an idea, let's say you get your wings and are lucky enough to fly fixed wing aircraft...on the very first day in your fleet squadron, go knock on your Skipper's door and tell him/her of your plan to transition to the airlines post MSR...let us know how that works out for you! Nothing like making a name for yourself before you even get to your first squadron...what will you do when out of API your orders are to HT-(fill in the blank), then what?