View Single Post
Old 07-30-2014, 04:22 AM
Timbo
Runs with scissors

Joined APC: Dec 2009
Position: Going to hell in a bucket, but enjoying the ride .

Originally Posted by mosteam3985 View Post
First off, holy concussion, Batman on that first video. Crap. That looks terrifying.

Second, I guess the only incident I was remembering in my mind was the Caravan ditching in Hawaii recently but I guess that's not really a "small" aircraft. Not in terms of GA anyway...

I don't think I have the nards those dudes have in that second video.... seriously impressive.

All in all this whole topic makes me really think about what actions I'd take in a similar engine out situation. I hope I never have to make the choice.

Just out of curiosity Tim, what would you do in this situation? Aim for the beach or the water? I'd go beach if it was completely unpopulated but water if there were any chance of human life on the shore (which being a Florida summer is almost a guarantee).
When I was a kid, we used to land a J3 Cub on the beach, at low tide, so the sand is hard packed (you don't want to land in soft sand or you're going over) but only if there was NOBODY around (we were more concerned about someone turning us into the FAA or take a picture of our N number and turn us in).

I think 99% of us would put it in the water if there were people on the beach. I know I would. The real issue is, don't put yourself into that position (over a populated beach) in the first place.

The incident we are discussing here happened just short of the Venice, FL airport, which is just inland from the Gulf of Mexico beach, with an East-West runway, just south of Sarasota. From what the local (Tampa) news is saying, he had engine trouble and turned to come back into Venice, but didn't make it.

The beaches in Venice are less crowded than in Sarasota, but I think this happened on a Saturday (?) and there would be people on every beach in Florida, unless it was during a thunderstorm. You would have to fly right over the beach either on every T/O or landing. Last night the news reported that the pilot released a statement (through his Lawyer) that said he never saw the two people he hit.

I don't know if he was landing perpendicular to the beach, as in coming straight at from the water, or if he was trying to land parallel to the beach.

BTW, when I was a kid, my dad once flipped a float plane. He had an engine failure flying over Lake Michigan, set up for a dead-stick landing near the shore but when he got closer, he saw there were some swimmers in his landing zone, so he turned away from them, landed on the water but hit the shore going too fast, and it flipped.

He got out ok (plane was a mess) but had a was cut up on his face, broken nose, etc. needed lots of stitches. Ever since then, I've given a lot of though to 'what would I do' if I had to ditch along a beach.

About 10 years ago, I delivered a J3 Cub from Pennsylvania to Florida, flew right down the beach from Charleston, SC to Jacksonville at about 800', then turned inland and climbed. I always felt safe being over a nice long beach. It was in December, so there weren't too many people around in most spots.