View Single Post
Old 07-30-2014, 01:33 PM
Sunrig
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014
Position: 757/767
Default Moving to the states in mid 40's?

Hi everybody,
i'm in the process of getting married to an US citizen next year. Since all her family lives in Florida we thought about the possibility of moving from europe to the US.
My situation right now is being a captain on B 737 flying holiday flights. It's a very good company with good QOL, rosters and everything you could think of. So i have problems leaving that well paid job to move over to the states. One idea that i had was to go on part-time to be able to stay more days in the US. Kind of commuting to europe for work and still have more money on 75% part-time captains salary than struggling with a low first officers salary for quite a few years. Question is if i would do this in the long term given the fact i have to fly another 20 years. ( constant jet lag ).
That's why i came up with the idea of applying to US companies. I know i would be in the right seat seat for a long time again. But seeing all the retirements coming up in the next ten years how do you see the chances of getting a command back within let's say ten years?
I've seen the hourly pay here for first officers. But could anybody give me a rough idea of the yearly gross salary after 1, 3and 5 years?
On another note- i don't hold an university degree.
Thank you everybody in advance.

Last edited by Sunrig; 07-30-2014 at 01:55 PM.