View Single Post
Old 07-31-2014, 05:11 AM
kronan
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: 757 Capt

I don't keep secrets. I don't think Vacation or Sub is a Zero Sum game and expressing my thoughts to my FOs doesn't impact on my QOL at all. Sub I've talked about 3 or 4 times with the 900xxx folks I've flown with. Vacation, only when I've been asked. In some ways Sub sucks, but it's better than some other airlines where you're not protected at all should mgt canx your trip.

Just me, but even during Negotiations, I could care less if you're bidding around your vacation to max out the buyback. Just don't predicate your life on those $$s-or base your budget on needing a week of carryover. It's a happier life if you're not worrying about paying the bills.

I just don't do it. I value time over money. My high 5 is done. It was done when I was a DC10 SO. Done again as a widebody FO. And now done again as a Capt. I don't look at What Could Be if only I was a 777 Capt on Intl Pay and carryover. If I go out on disability tomorrow, my family will be okay. Won't have multiple planes or vacation homes, but we'll be fine.

This whole summer off idea works great if you can hold a line, pretty much any line at that. But it makes for a busy fall due to the need to do MUV. I like the time off I get every month to recharge. And I don't like huge breaks in flying, don't like feeling a bit uncomfortable when I haven't flown in awhile.
Still, if I was a junior guy, could very easily bid vacation for the last 2 weeks in June or the last 2 weeks in July.

Just depends upon what you want to do.