View Single Post
Old 08-01-2014, 11:25 AM
Cubdriver

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.

Originally Posted by Kprc1 View Post
...My opinion is this; In all professions there is a starting point.
A mason, electrician, plumber and a carpenter started their profession as a "gopher" or day laborer to learn their trade...
These aren't comparable jobs to an airline pilot. Look at engineer, doctor, lawyer, accountant, architect, etc.

...Many corporate execs and individuals in business had to do an unpaid internship...
As a student, yes. Many colleges arrange for unpaid internships for their students. Airline pilots are not students any more.

...A good restaurant GM (general manager) has worked his way up from even a dishwasher position...
Not a comparable job. You can do this job with little or no education.

...I believe that this is just a "right of passage" as a first year FO. Would I like more money? Hell yes! Do I think it's fair to sign a 1 year or longer training contract at those wages? Hell NO! For now I'll just grind it out and wait my turn for the upgrade.
Disagree, comparable jobs pay around $50,000 to start. The internship ends at the 1500 hour mark at the latest. Even that figure is a bit high in my view, but Congress put it there because flying turbine aircraft with 50+ people through the sky is a safety-critical job, and the system was allegedly failing to ensure safety- so 1500 it is. A comparable figure to similar professions will have new FOs at $50k to start. They'll pay it when they can't find so many applicants willing to do it for $15-25k.