View Single Post
Old 08-02-2014, 10:21 AM
copycopy
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2014

Originally Posted by chignutsak View Post
So in your view, all the no voters mistakenly believed that DP and company would just roll over and cave in, saying, "Yep, they hanging tough, lets's not waste any more time and send all the new aircraft to ENY?" Do you really think all the no voters felt there would be no pain and consequences?
RJ PILOT posted recently that he just needs envoy to last 3 more years so he can retire, so I wouldn't buy too much into his "we need to get an agreement done now" agenda. I voted no under the presumption that things would get worse before they improved. I had no misconception about this. Those that say that there is no shortage, or impending shortage, because it hasn't become overwhelmingly evident within 4 months of our no vote are idiots. This shortage isn't just about the classes today, next month or 6 months from now; the shortage coming is due once the majors are required to hire upwards of 2000-3000 pilots per year, starting in about two years. Why the hell would we agree to guaranteed concessions for a 10 year contract in exchange for flow with that type of movement coming up? It's asinine! Once that hiring spree starts, regionals WILL have trouble finding enough pilots. Anybody that voted no expecting immediate industry wide changes was a fool, but I think (and I could be wrong) that most of us realized that the no vote was about a long term industry trend that needs to change.

I am not surprised that PSA and MESA are filling classes. They are the easiest to get hired by (allegedly), and they have shiny new jets. There is, however, only going to be so much time before the regionals as a whole start to have serious staffing issues. I just don't see how deteriorating pay and QOL beyond an already concessionary contract is going to solve that problem.