View Single Post
Old 05-23-2007, 12:30 PM
vagabond
Administrator

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: C-172

Jungle, I agree with you that working an honest day is preferable to sitting in my single-wide trailer on my fat cargo hold waiting for the postman to arrive with my food stamps. You and I could discuss the morality and efficacy of food stamps until we are both FedEx purple and orange in the face. However, to try and keep this thread with some semblance to aviation (and avoid getting sanctions from The Man), I only want to say that my point was to, well, point out that the low regional pay is an indictment of the industry and of society.

We have a diverse group of people in the industry – young and old, rich and poor. For the most part, they are educated or at least intelligent enough to tell the difference between a yolk and a yoke. And in order to make it, people have to put in their time, paying for the hours in the air needed to even meet the minimums. The SkyHighs of this world will say that getting paid $30 an hour to fly a regional plane is a rather poor Return on Investment. I would have to agree with that. However, every profession demands a lot from its members, and I for one have done quite a bit of my share offering support and encouragement to many here on the boards to persevere in their dreams. The problem I have with the airlines is the cavalier way it eats its young.

It goes without saying that although I am only a student pilot, I am on your side and side of most pilots on this board. The low salary does not affect me personally, but I do hope for something better for everyone. And soon.