Thread: Skywest
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2014, 09:02 PM
rcfd13
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2009
Position: Another RJ FO

Originally Posted by SMACFUM View Post
2 years on reserve? even in ORD? A capt I know told me there's not many people bidding across to the 175 on the FO side, so its mainly new hires, at least on the FO side.

I haven't made a final decision on equipment yet, but am heavilly leaning towards the 175. so any info I can get would be greatly appreciated
No one can give you a hard number on reserve time on the 175 since it's brand new and has hardly any flying. What I can see happening though is if there's some huge new contract for flying a lot of current FOs actually will have incentive to bid over to it.

The way I look at it is if you take the CRJ as a new hire today you will do nothing but move up in seniority. If you take the 175 you'll have the potential for lots of current CRJ pilots to bid over to the 175 and continuously push you down in seniority. Pilots who have started on the CRJ in the past during times with lots of Brasilia hiring have seen the same thing happen as the Brasilia pilots transitioned to the CRJ and pushed them down.

As of right now there are 35 ORD based E175 pilots and #33 has been here for two years. Assuming no new contracts you actually would be looking at a likely two years on reserve. Of course there hopefully will be new contracts and that stuff is way above my pay grade so I have no idea what to tell you other than what I can see today.