View Single Post
Old 08-04-2014, 06:07 AM
OnCenterline
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2014
Position: 737 FO

Originally Posted by SkyBN View Post
I am a full-time flight instructor who is married (no kids) and I was wondering what my best options would be. My background is:

1000TT
80 multi (54 PIC multi)
80 hours instrument

So I am torn between the choices that I have.

Option 1: stay as a flight instructor for approximately 8 more months and move to a Regional carrier. Now it's valid to say that I hate flight instructing at my current flight school due to poor management and leadership. My life is pretty miserable there but I make close to 25$/hour.

Option 2: go to Cape Air as a FO, making 9$/hour, until I get my 1,500 hours then become a Captain making 15$ hour. The issue of being placed randomly at bases scare me when I'm only making barely minimum wage. But I have talked to many pilots from Cape Air and they all recommend it. The. After the required 1 1/2 at Cape Air I'd move on to a Regional Carrier.

Option 3: Go to Planesense (part 91k) flying the SEL TURBINE PC-12 initially making $34k as an FO ( after the 6-month evaluation) then stay with them for the minimum required 3 years ( rumor) then go to a Regional. Or I could just simply stay with them for the rest of my career since they just purchased 6 orders of the twin versatile jet, PC-24.

I am looking for a good future and good QOL. I highly appreciate any comments and advices. Thanks
I wouldn't go anywhere that has requirement for you to stay a certain period of time. That is for their benefit, NOT yours!

Cape is a great company, and the pay is indeed for duty time, not just flight time. Don't discount that. Another poster mentioned the ATR, but that's only in Guam, and they only have 2 planes there.

I'd get your 1500, and go to a jet regional. You're too close to the 1500 to do the interim step to Cape Air.