Thread: jetBlue Hiring
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2014, 10:18 AM
rvr1800
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008

Originally Posted by Std Deviation View Post
I think many pilots have gotten a "gimme" or "mulligan" in lieu of a pink slip. I had the same examiner for Private, Instrument, and Commercial - The infamous Howard Fried of the Detroit FSDO (he used to write a column called "Eye of the Examiner" for Flying magazine and later "Eye of Experience" for Avweb. Also has a couple books out.)

We're doing the commercial oral before getting in a C172RG and he asks, "so how does the prop work?"

My 20 year old self responds, "Well, you push the knob forward and the prop goes faster. And if you pull it back it goes slower."

He retorts, "Yes, but how does it WORK?"

I give him the same answer, "Well, you push the knob forward and the prop goes faster. And if you pull it back it goes slower."

After three tries he finally says, "You don't know how it works mechanically do you?"

Me, "Don't have a clue."

I was enlightened on speeder springs, counter weights, and valves.

Definitely a gimme because Howard was notorious for sitting on his seat belt during takeoff and then asking the private applicant on the upwind if he should put it on. Followed by a return and a pink slip. He was a stickler for details. So much so that he'd bust instrument applicants if they forgot to bring a view limiting device.
Sounds like a real a-hole.