View Single Post
Old 08-06-2014, 06:16 AM
DAL 88 Driver
At home on the maddog!

Joined APC: Mar 2009
Position: ATL MD-88A

Originally Posted by Herkflyr View Post
Sailing,

I usually respect your posts, but I think you are being unfair. I think JM had to make painful decisions at a painful time. As for "being the largest giveback in the history of Delta"...maybe that is because he also negotiated the largest increase in the history, etc.

To make the logic extreme but still pertinent, what if you were making $1000/hr prior to LOA 46, then took a 70% pay cut to "only" get to $300/hr? You would still be at $300/hr, but could also truthfully state "the largest giveback" etc etc.

I thought JM was a good MEC chairman (and prior to that, Negotiating Committe chair etc). I thought it was a mistake for Moak to run against him when he did (and win the MEC chair as well).
I agree with you to that point.

THAT said, I thought that Moak actually has done a pretty good job in numerous demanding environments as well. One does not have to be on one side or the other. Both JM and LM ultimately want what is best for the DAL pilots they led. Often times it is more a question of differences of method than desired end result.
In times of adversity, it's how we react that defines ones character. We don't know what JM would have done after bankruptcy because he didn't get the chance. LM's track record is clear.

Sure, we got more improvements than the other bankrupt carrier's pilot groups got. But, IMO, we did this at the expense of resigning ourselves to bankruptcy as a reset. LM's "proactive engagement" (I would say "proactive appeasement" is more like it) has certainly kept labor peace at Delta... but it's also set expectations that restoration or anything even remotely close to restoration is off the table. Management has every reason to believe that the "pilot cost dragon" has been slayed once and for all, never to be revisited.

Would JM have made this mistake? Who knows? But my gut instinct is he would not have.

For those of us who have a problem with LM, I think this is what it revolves around. The guy (along with his disciples) has lead us into a position where restoration is for all intents and purposes off the table.

But the whole point of this is I think your post unfair, and does not also tell the entire story.
Hey, we're back to agreeing!