Old 08-08-2014, 05:18 PM
EXPAT1
Banned

Joined APC: Jul 2010
Position: 737 NG CAPT.

Originally Posted by NEDude View Post
I have met several FOs here who did their training all within China. Perhaps it may just be because the airline I am with is located not far from China's largest flight school. But still many guys also did their training in the United States. I would say it is a 60/40 mix right now, with China being 60. What I am surprised at is how much time they make these guys sit in the right seat before upgrade. Not that it is a bad thing, but I figured 4-5 years as an FO before upgrade. But I am finding in many cases it is closer to 6-8 years before they can begin the upgrade process. The upgrade process can itself take in excess of a year as well. The FO I am flying with right now has been here since 2007. He has completed the upgrade sim training and checking, passed all the academic testing, passed the upgrade interview process, and he hopes to be able to start line training by early next year.
I think it depends upon the airline and the individual company needs for FOs. At my airline 100% of the Cadet pilots go the US for their initial flying. It takes about 1 year and they get all licenses up through Multi engine, CPL. The Chinese schools take 4 years as it is a University flying school so it just depends upon the needs of the individual airline for first Officers and how quickly they need FOs. Right now there are several contracts in China hiring 737 FOs. This is the first time it has happened so maybe there is also a shortage beginning in the FO requirements. There has always been a shortage of Captains but now we are seeing huge numbers of upgrades so in my opinion ExPats will be required less and less in the future but again this is airline specific depending upon each companies current needs. At my airline Cadets come from off the street, pass their CAAC medical and then go the the USA for 1 year. They come back and do intensive 737 sim and ground school training and then start flying 900 hours per year. It will take them about 3.5 years to get their 737 hours necessary for upgrade which is currently 2800 TT. Hence they will make 737 Captain in about 4-5 years currently from their off the street join date. This is quite common among other airlines in China but it is company specific. The sheer numbers they are producing right now is mind boggling.